Nathan, Jeannie, Jaron, Joshua, Eliana, Trooper (the geriatric border collie) and Ivy (the terror-cat).

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Our "First" Child

Nathan and I were talking the other night about how we hadn't posted pictures of Trooper in a while. For those of you who don't know, he was our first baby. I adopted him when I was in college - about 19 years old. He's now about 14 years old (give or take a year since he was from the animal shelter). So, when Nathan and I married, Trooper and I were a package deal. We are convinced that he is THE best dog ever. He has the most patience of any animal I know and has put up with two very active twin boys and is now getting to know Eliana. He is almost human in so many ways - the way he gives and asks for affection, the way he can't hide when he's done something wrong, and the way he acts has my second set of eyes when I'm home during the day.

One of my favorite stories to tell about Trooper is how he once ratted out Jaron and Joshua for leaving the yard. One afternoon when I let them out to play, I let Trooper out with them. After a while Trooper starts barking at the back door - I thought that was strange since he typically doesn't bark if someone is outside with him. I looked and realized the boys were no longer in the yard and they had gone out the side gate. Rather than following them out of the yard, Trooper knew something wasn't right and let me know the boys had left the yard. You should've seen their faces when I called them back in and told them that Trooper told on them!

Sweet Trooper getting some hugs from Nathan
Eliana checking out Trooper

No comments: