Nathan, Jeannie, Jaron, Joshua, Eliana, Trooper (the geriatric border collie) and Ivy (the terror-cat).

Friday, August 29, 2008

History in the Making

Last night Nathan and I sat and watched as history was made. We watched Barack Obama accept the nomination of President of the United States of America - the first African American to be nominated for president by a major political party in the U.S. As we watched, I couldn't help but get emotional as I saw the young black family who dressed themselves and their young children in their Sunday best to witness this historical moment or the black woman in her 60s who climbed all the way up to the top of Mile High Stadium to find her seat - a seat that she wouldn't have given up for the world to behold the most significant moment in her lifetime.

Thinking about last night's speech led me to post these few pictures from the Barack Obama Rally on Congress Avenue in February:

My friend Glynda and I, along with about 20,000 other people gathered on Congress Avenue to witness history-in-the-making. I thought it would be pretty cool...maybe we'd get there and at least be able to hear him from where we were standing...there will be microphones and speakers I'm sure. Maybe we'll even see a tiny spec of a person that we might be able to make out to be Barack Obama himself. Well, as you can see, our vantage point was actually pretty awesome. I remember thinking that night as we were leaving, "I may have just seen the future President of the United States in-person."

And here's a picture of our beautiful Capitol building with the "Change" banner.

No comments: